What are the Australian Financial Year Dates?

What are the Australian Financial Year Dates?

Mark your calendar. The Australian Financial Year Runs from 1 July to 30 June.

The Australian financial year dates can easily be confused with the Australian tax season dates. The financial year date ends on 30 June.

It’s good to keep in mind that during the Australian tax season, you’ll report the income you earned throughout the financial year.

Still unsure of the dates? We’re here to help.

Financial Year & Tax Season Dates

Here’s what you’ll need to know.

2013-2014 Financial Year: 1 July, 2013 – 30 June, 2014

2014-2015 Financial Year: 1 July, 2014 – 30 June, 2015

2015-2016 Financial Year: 1 July, 2015 – 30 June, 2016

2016-2017 Financial Year: 1 July, 2016 – 30 June, 2017

2017-2018 Financial Year: 1 July, 2017 – 30 June, 2018

2018-2019 Financial Year: 1 July, 2018 – 30 June, 2019

Each year, the tax season starts on 1 July and ends on 31 October. During that tax season, you’ll report income earned during the financial year date.

2014 Tax Season: 1 July, 2014 – 31 October, 2014

2015 Tax Season: 1 July, 2015 – 31 October, 2015

2016 Tax Season: 1 July, 2016 – 31 October, 2016

2017 Tax Season: 1 July, 2017 – 31 October, 2017

2018 Tax Season: 1 July, 2018 – 31 October, 2018

2019 Tax Season: 1 July, 2019 – 31 October, 2019

What Financial Year are We Currently In?

At the moment, we are in the 2018-2019 financial year. In other words, the income you’re currently earning will be reported on your 2019 tax return.

When Does Tax Season End?

Each tax season ends on 31 October. That means you have until 31 October of each tax year to lodge a tax return on time. For example, when the 2019 tax season approaches, you have until 31 October, 2019 to lodge your tax return on time.

Can I Report My Income Earned Earlier?

Planning ahead? The ATO instructs you to indicate the year you’re lodging by marking it in bold on the front of your individual tax return. For instance, if you are using your individual tax return instructions for 2018 to complete your return for the 2018–19 income year, you simply cross out the 2018 and mark the tax return 2019.

But wait, if you’re eager to lodge a 2019 tax return early, you will need to fall within either of the following groups;

1) You are a foreign resident for tax purposes (an Australian nonresident) and you

  • are leaving Australia permanently, and
  • will no longer derive Australian-sourced income other than interest, dividends, and royalties

2) You are an Australian resident for tax purposes and you

  • are leaving Australia
  • will cease to be an Australian resident for tax purposes, and
  • will no longer derive Australian-sourced income other than interest, dividends, and royalties.

Once you’re done, you’ll need to post your completed tax return to:

Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845

Keep in mind, the typical turnaround that the ATO will process your early lodged return is within 50 days.

Can I still lodge early if none of these apply to me?

The ATO advises that you should lodge during the normal lodgement period of 1 July to 31 October if the following applies to you:

  • are not leaving Australia permanently
  • will receive Australian-sourced income (other than interest, dividends, and royalties) after leaving Australia
  • have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt.

Get your Prior Year Tax Return out of the Way!

Now that you know the tax season and Australian financial year dates, you can add them to your calendar. Did you notice a tax deadline that you missed? With E-Lodge you can complete your return in as little as 10 minutes! You can lodge a previous year tax return for financial years 2006-2018!


australian financial year dates

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “What are the Australian Financial Year Dates?”

  1. Kapil gondi says:

    Hi my name is kapil ,I left australia on 23rd December permanentaley ,so I just need a link or help to apply my early tax return ,because m ruining out of money reply me asap

  2. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Kapil,

    I understand that you are in a rush. In order to lodge your tax return prior to mid-June, you will need to lodge directly with the ATO. If you would like to lodge your taxes online this year, just hang in there until June and lodge with E-Lodge!

  3. Sathish says:

    Hi, I reached Australia by Apr 13 and paying tax from there. Now how much refund I will get?

    my total incom from Apr 13 to Jun 30 is : 12500 and 7500 AUD tax deducted. please advise. thank you


  4. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Sathish,

    Although you have provided your income amount and tax deducted for the time you were in Australia, your refund amount is based on a few other key factors. Please take a look at our tax calculator to see how much you will be issued back this year. It is free to use and you will be provided with a calculation in under 5 minutes!

  5. Krish says:

    Hi, I am Krishna and I permanently left Australia on 26-Feb-2012 and I have taken the SuperAnnuation amount recently.
    How can I lodge my tax return on the super annuation amount. Is it possible?.


  6. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Krishna,

    When you create your account with E-Lodge, there is a specific section under the income tab where you can report your superannuation amount. Once under the income tab, you will need to check the box labeled, “Retirement Income Streams”. Once in the retirement section, click the orange box labeled, “Add New Record” under the heading, “Superannuation Income Stream, Annuity or Pension”. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to reach out to our tax experts directly via phone, email or live chat.

  7. geoffrey c lamey says:

    can i lodge share losses on e-lodge

  8. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Geoffrey,

    You can report your losses on E-Lodge. To do so, you would choose the Income tab within your account and tick the box labeled “Capital Gains and Distributions from Managed Funds”. You can report the loss within this tab. If you have any issues with this or are still unsure, you can contact our customer support team via telephone or email.

  9. Vicki says:

    Potentially our last pay period ends on 1st July and will be paid on 3rd July 2017 – or should this be our first pay period for the next financial year?

  10. Tax Advisor says:

    You must report the income that is earned within that financial year, if you have worked in July 1st and have earned income for that day, you must report this calculation separate from the rest of your income that you have earned throughout the last pay period. Whichever financial year date range your income has fallen on, is where you must report this income.

  11. Priyanka says:

    I am an international student recently working on a casual basis. While joining in the job, I mistakenly wrote in my form that I am not an Australian resident for a tax purpose although I provided them with the TFN number. Certain amounts have been cut from my salary until I noticed it and amended the form. However, I didn’t receive the money that has been deducted from my salary and they have asked me to lodge a tax return so that I can have that back. Being very naive in this matter, can you help me out providing some suggestions about what to do? Thanks.

  12. Tax Advisor says:

    By preparing an amended tax return, you will be able to correct your residency information and also potentially get a higher refund provided that your withholdings are higher than your tax owed.

  13. shannen says:

    Hi there,

    I am looking to claim my tax back. I have only been working in Australia for 3 months and have been told I can claim all my tax back. How do I do this?

    Thank you!

  14. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Shannen,

    You will be able to create an account with us to determine if you can claim your tax back when the 2017 application becomes available. You will then be able to lodge a 2017 tax return when the 2017 tax season begins in July.

  15. Trevs says:


    I left Australia at the end of October last year (2016). I was working up until that point on visa subclass 462. Before I left I was considered a resident for tax purposes. Did my residency status change after I left Australia permanently? Just curious as I would like to know if I’ll be owing tax.


  16. Tax Advisor says:

    If you are have left Australia permanent, you are no longer considered an Australian resident. Your income that you earned after you were no longer considered an Australian resident but considered as a foreign resident, would be subjected to Australian taxes. However, if you are no longer earning income from Australia, you are not subjected to any of their taxes.

  17. Bala says:

    Weekly salary for period June 27- July 2nd 2017 paid on July 4th 2017, will this be taxed during 2016-2017 or 2017- 2018?


  18. Tax Advisor says:

    Your PAYG should specify which fiscal year your income was earned. I advise you reference this document to determine which tax year you should report the income. If you received self-employment income, you may want to allocate this income to the correct tax year. Income earned before June 30th should be reported in the 2016-2017 tax year, and income earned after July 1st should be reported in the 2017-2018 tax year.

  19. James says:


    I’ve been advise by my payroll that my June salary won’t be paid until July 14th and as its not “paid” in June its therefore going into the next years Group Certificate which means I cannot claim it in this year 2017. I’ve only been in Australia 1 month so I wanted in it 2017 to get marginal tax relief and I always assumed this was Income Earned for 2016 as I worked in 2016 irrespective of when the cash made it to my hand a week after month end.


  20. Matt says:

    Hi there,

    Just expanding on Bala’s question, if your earnings are not by self employed means (you work for a normal company) and your pay period is from Sunday 25th of June 2017 to Sunday 9th of July 2017, you are still liable to pay tax on all earnings up to the 30th of June 2017 for the 2016-2017 tax year?

    Is that correct? even if your pay period straddles the 1st of July?

  21. Tax Advisor says:

    Your employer should have this separated for you on your statements that you receive from them for lodging. The income reported will be until June 30th, with the remainder of the income that you earn for the rest of the week to be subject to taxes for the next financial year. The income that you earn on July 1st will be taxed in the next financial year.

  22. Tax Advisor says:

    The income statement that you receive from your employers should still reflect the days that you are being paid for. This income should still fall under the 2016-2017 tax year (2016 tax season). You should speak to your employers for further information on this matter, even if your payment will not be paid out to you until July 14th.

  23. Gaurav says:

    Hello there,

    I am in Australia since April 2017 but due to some system technical issues my salary is not paid untill June 2017. Now, this will be paid in July along with Arrears(Income from FY – 16/17).

    In this case how the Tax calculation will be done for FY 2017/18? Whether my FY 16-17 income will be clubbed in FY 17-18 and I have to Pay more tax?

    When I can take the Tax refund for income from FY16-17?

    Please advise, thank you

  24. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Gaurav,

    The 2016-2017 financial year ends 30 June 2017 and you’ll be able to lodge your 2017 tax return the following day on 1 July 2017. You can lodge your 2016 return when you get the chance to. The 2017 tax season is between 1 July 2017 – 31 October 2018.

  25. Thazza says:

    Hey guys!

    So I had a casual job last year. This year I started doing contract work and had to get an ABN – I believe I’m a sole trader.. Using the same TFN and bank account for both.. For tax purposes do I need to submit multiple tax returns? What if someone ever runs a business and has a job at the same time – what do you do then? What do people running multiple businesses do?

    Thanks for all your help! 🙂 Really appreciate what you’re doing!

    Best Wishes,

  26. Ben says:

    I am a contractor and I get paid on Thursday for the work I did in the previous week.
    So, for the week 26-Jun to 2-July, I got paid on 6-July (Thu). Should this payment be under FY2016/17 for tax purpose? or should it be under FY2017/18?
    Thanks a lot

  27. MARICA SIGANOS says:


  28. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Marcia,

    That is correct.

  29. Tax Advisor says:

    You will need to report your income accordingly to the income that you earned up to the end of the FY 2016/17 and split that from the income you began earning from the beginning of the FY 2017/18.

  30. Tax Advisor says:

    You will be able to file accordingly, all the income that you have earned in your business and your side job on your individual tax return. Taxpayer’s who have multiple businesses can file accordingly in this way as well.

  31. Sze says:

    I have a investment property in Australia to incurre rental income. I did not live in Australia. Do I need to file any tax return in Australia? What is the deadline for lodging the return every year?

  32. Anwari says:

    I worked in one hospitality company between july 2016 – november 2016. I haven’t claimed my tax return untill now.I was a visa 462 holder. I came back to my country permanently. My account bank has been closed because I thought I wouldn’t come back to Australia for several years. I forgot I still have some money can be claimed,but I need to arrange my trip to Australia again. I m so busy at this moment. Is there any expire date to claim my tax return ?. Thanks

  33. Julien says:

    Hi, I’d like to know if I do my tax return 2017 (from the 1st July 2016 to the 30th of June 2017) now. I know, I’m late, that’s why I’m asking.
    Could you tell me if it’s possible?
    Kind regards,

  34. Ax says:

    I am a permanent resident. I got a better job opportunity in Europe and will be leaving Australia in December 2018. Probably a 3 year stint before I come back to Australia. Will I cease to be Australian Resident for tax purposes for Financial Year ending June 2019? What about later years i.e. 2020, 2021, etc.

  35. Nimz says:


    Will my pay from the period that ens on the 3rd July 2018 and paid on the 4th July be included in my PAYG summary for 2017/2018?


  36. Manisha Hansraj says:

    Hello Julien,

    You can still lodge your late 2017 tax return using E-Lodge! All you need to do is create a 2016-2017 account to get started.

Leave a Reply